Sunday, November 14, 2010

53 KILLED AT BSA WORKS
The headline that never made the papers

On the night of the 19th November 1940 Birmingham suffered one of its
worst air raids of the blitz when a German bombers dropped two bombs on
the Armoury Road site of the Birmingham Small Arms factory at Small
Heath. Many night shift workers that night had stayed at their machines
when the sirens sounded and when they did decide to vacate the factory
floor the intensity of the raid made it impossible for them to reach
the air raid shelters safely. That night they chose to shelter in the
basement of the reinforced concrete factory, only one worker would be
pulled out alive after being trapped for 9 hours, 52 were crushed to
death when the complete factory building collapsed on top of them after
two direct hits.


Wartime reporting restrictions meant that the raid could not be reported by the media.


For the first time in 70 years there will be wreaths laid at Armoury Road
at 2 pm on the 19th November by Jon Price the organiser of the BSA
Memorial Appeal and webmaster of the Made in Birmingham website and the leader of The Respect Party and councillor for Sparkhill
Salma Yaqoob.


A small gathering of motorcyclists, some on BSA motorcycles, will proceed
to the Birmingham Council House after the wreath laying to attend the
Birmingham Air Raid 70th anniversary day organised by local school
teacher Doug Smith. The exhibition, in conjunction with the Birmingham
Air Raids Association, is in the banqueting suite and will be open to
the public from 10 - 4 pm, there is no admission charge. Charles
Cundall's painting of the BSA disaster, owned and commissioned by the
BSA and presented to BMAG when the factory closed in 1975, will be also
on show.Mick Volante will be exhibiting a BSA Gold Star and Ken Broomfield will be exhibiting a BSA M20 and several BSA guns

There will be also an evening ticket only event commencing at 7pm.

THIS IS A TICKET ONLY EVENT--200 tickets only

  1. The event begins at 7 pm
  2. There will be a maximum 200 guests. They will be able to look at the displays until 8 pm. There will be tea and coffee
  3. Welcome by Doug Smith, Swanshurst School
  4. Barabara Johnson, Chairman of Barra to say a few words
  5. Song by Rosemary Stacey – ‘My Dearest Dear’
  6. Doug – Power Point – Birmingham’s contribution to the War effort and its sacrifice
  7. Song by Andrea Dowsett – ‘Over the rainbow’
  8. Doug – November 19th 1940
  9. Jon Price www.madeinbirmingham.org The BSA
  10. Song by Rosemary Stacey ‘A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square’
  11. DVD of reminisces of the war
  12. Song by Andrea Dowsett – ‘Don’t Sit Under the apple tree’
  13. Poem by Jean Frier – ‘Seventy Years on’
  14. Doug closing words

If you are attending the evening event you will have to make your own car parking arrangements

If you are staying in Birmingham for the evening event remember the adjacent Birmingham reference library is open till 8pm . Thre are numerous restaurants and those that masqueardes such (Mac Donalds etc)



1 comment:

  1. Greetings everyone, my name is Karen Paul I am from wales I have heard about this loan officer called Mr Benjamin Lee and his investors that are helping people with loans all around the world truly I found people testified about his wonderful work and I was surprised why I did not find this company on time. I never believed what the people said about the company until I apply and gave it a try the amount I was looking for was big and it was for a real estate the loan amount was $10.5 million US dollars and so I applied and Mr Benjamin lee talked to me but since my loan was large it took just 5 working days to receive my loan cause they told me there loan service was 48 hours to receive loan. The only thing he told me to do was to deposit the application fee which the it's was processing fee to process my loan  when he told me that once I was afraid it was a scam but I said let me give it a try I deposited the application fee which was stated and that was all I deposited behold in less than 5 working days like he said truly I received a message from my bank that sum amount of money which was $10.5 million US dollars has been credited in my bank account and everything about the money the details and who it came from was there behold it was Mr Benjamin Lee loan company who helped me when i first saw it I was surprised i never believed my eyes but it was true. So I told my self since other people that the company helped testified about there good deeds let me do mine cause to not easy to see a legit loan company online this days so anyone from anywhere who needs an online loan without getting cheated apply from this company cause they only that can help i have confirmed it and it is true I am so happy and I know this company will make other people happier than me. You can contact this company via mail or Whatsapp but I used Whatsapp cause it was faster mail address of the company is +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com. Thanks everyone regards from Karen Paul from Wales.

    ReplyDelete